If you read our Piano Party rider (a list of requests that an artist sets as criteria for a performance), you might be surprised to learn that all we really need to get a Piano Party started is a stage and an outlet! But even more surprising are these crazy demands that our favorite rock stars have laid out in their performance riders. Read on to find out what famous keyboard artists like Lady Gaga, Elton John, and of course Van Halen expect when they arrive to put on a show.
1. This is definitely one of the funnier rundowns of rider requests I've seen. Keyboard queen Lady Gaga reportedly needed some help getting into a British state of mind for her performance at Radio 1's Big Weekend. Mother Monster requested for Pimm's, fish and chips, and battered Mars bars to be served backstage, and her dressing room to be decorated with Union Jack bunting. As if that weren't kooky enough, her entire staff was required to speak in Cockney accents for the duration of the event. Cheerio, guv'nah!
2. Immediately following their performances for arenas full of fans, the members of Queen themselves became the audience. Their rider stipulated that a mud wrestling ring and wrestlers be provided for entertainment after the show.
3. Going by this patriotic fact, the Man In Black himself Johnny Cash could've gone by the Man In Red, White, and Blue. In his rider, he stipulated that an American flag be flown "in full view of the audience."
4. Along with six lamps and a rug, Axl Rose of Guns N' Roses has submitted a snack wish list including seven types of cheese, two bear shaped pots of honey, and a cubic melon. Delicious.
5. Elton John has high expectations and low expectations before his show, depending on the time of year. He has been known to require the temperature of his dressing room to be kept at 60°F in summer and 70°F in winter.
6. Knowing that Michael Buble is Canadian, it shouldn't be too shocking to learn that he's an avid hockey fan. What might be news to you, though, is that Buble asks for one local team hockey puck from each city he performs in. He must have quite a collection by now!
7. Paul McCartney's rider asked that bomb-sniffing dogs sweep the venue before he performs.
8. Deadmau5 wanted an inflatable pool toy to be provided for use during all of his performances.
9. Rumor has it that Beyonce needs special alkaline water that she drinks at 21° through $900 worth of titanium drinking straws. But isn't 21° water...ice? In actuality, her rider just specifies items like "juicy" baked chicken "HEAVILY SEASONED!!" with cayenne pepper, rose scented candles, and, due to her contract with Pepsi, no other soda products.
And, of course, last but not least:
10. Pretty much everyone has heard about Van Halen's wacky demands for M&Ms with the brown ones removed. But what you might not know is that there's a pretty reasonable rationalization for this seemingly divalicious request. They inserted that particular proviso into their rider so that if the bowl of M&Ms was missing or contained the tricky brown ones, they would know that there might be technical or safety issues in their setup! According to David Lee Roth, this scheme came about after a Van Halen crew member had a near-death experience as a result of shoddy workmanship on a previous tour. Those Van Halen boys are so clever.